Thursday, October 10, 2013

Thoughts of a Dancing Man (And the Waitress He's Courting)

I saw her earlier, I hope she hasn't left yet. Well if she was still here then she's probably closing.

Ok, 25 minutes left and I'm leaving.  If Jeannette thinks I'm going to stay late and wrap silverware off the clock because she spent all night flirting w/ Kalan again...  Was that guy just dancing?

Should I face the back wall?  I mean, why would I face the doorway?  If I face the wall, it will look like I really just don't even care if people see me. I'll just look like a guy casually practicing his hip hop dance routine in an empty room at a cafĂ©.  No wait, I've seen the way I look from behind, my arms look super boney and the back of my head comes to a point. Plus I need to make eye contact with her and look all young and optimistic, like I haven't been defeated by the world. I'm pretty sure that's been my problem. Girls like a guy who has dreams and ambitions.  Otherwise the relationship just turns into codependency.  

Do I want to walk by that room again?  It looked like he had headphones on, so that means I don't have to acknowledge him, right?  I could walk around the other way... DAMMIT! Roger is over there, and he'll definitely say something to me, I've been avoiding him all night.  Ugh.  "Regulars" at a cafe is just a fancy word for stalkers who tip.

I wonder if she has ambitions like I do.  She works as a waitress at a cafe right now, but maybe she goes to ASU? This is a bit of a drive from ASU.  Wait, this place is closer to Grand Canyon University than ASU.  Fuck, that would mean she's weird and Christian.  Is someone being Christian reason enough to not date them?  No way, that can't be right! That would make me a bigot or something, right? I mean, I don't know if I'd be down with waiting until marriage for sex, but maybe I could convince her to go all the way sooner... like maybe a few weeks? Wait, is what I am thinking about rape?   

Fuck, I still need to clear out that room.  What if there's someone in there? That would be so creepy.  Should I like, ask Joe to go kick him out?  He looks so young and optimistic though, like he hasn't been defeated by the world.

Oh shit, here she comes!  She's... she's totally ignoring me and trying to clean the tables. SHIT, she thinks I'm a weirdo.  I should just get out of her way.  Yeah, and I'll mutter things about my routine, like a... a soliloquy and shit, like I'm a tortured genius!  I can totally imagine someone being interviewed about their rise to fame and their humble beginnings practicing in alleys and in the back rooms in coffee houses.  I'm just working hard, I'm so focused and I don't even notice she's there.  I'm dedicated, and I don't even give a shit about her. Girls like a guy who seems like he doesn't give a shit.

Oh god he's one of those people who says all of his thoughts out loud like he's narrating his life, even when nobody is around.  Well, I'm around, but I don't count.  Wait. No, I totally count. Why the fuck is he saying this shit out loud when I'm in the room? I gotta tell him he can't do this here.

Other customers? What other customers?  Man, I can't take this, she's walking all over me.   I gotta come back with something or she won't respect me.

Oh god that was so awkward.  Of course the room was empty, he probably scared everyone out.  It felt good to confront someone though.  Does that make me an oppressor?  Am I the world weighing down on him? Crushing his dreams?  Oh man, I totally want to go tell Jeannette about this... but if I do that I'll be roped into wrapping up silverware for sure.

Wait, she's standing just outside the doorway... I can see her shadow.  Play it cool, maybe she's about to come back in and apologize. Nope, she's walking away... yeah, she's definitely going to tell her coworkers about me.  Now for the walk of shame.  I'll leave my headphones on.  Shit, the cord hits the floor.  I'll just wrap it up and put it in my pocket.

No comments:

Post a Comment