Saturday, September 21, 2013

Through a Long and Sleepless Night*

*Obligatory "It's Fall, guess I'll read a bunch of Poe and instead of feel humbled by the (somewhat misogynistic) brilliance, try to imitate it with my shitty verse".

My brain attempts sleep by centrifuge of its contents
But a cliffhanger of my senses' season
Teases my mind into wakeful treason
Jasmine and orange released a deluge of their strong scents
Why are they flowering now?
Like hounds in temperament
But sunshine in their intent
The smell wafts against my windows
I bury my inlets in my pillows
And close my eyes against themselves

Into fabric I gaze
As my nose plays
Notes of a song whose words elude me
They grant me the yen to dance
I beg of my thoughts to for once exclude me
And give melatonin a chance

I keep reality tied up for its own protection
From a chemical I once freely squeezed hard enough
To milk, but not keep
And from which I hide in distraction's bluff
But since I cannot sleep
Up, and up, I'll take to the street
And set my course
To this aroma's source
Or until my curiosity feels remorse
For its assault on my circadian beat

The aroma hovered over a certain spot
Around an overgrown abandoned lot
So, dizzily, in that direction I dithered
Like a lucid dreaming sleeper agent
Whose will for wakefulness has withered
Like fire with a prior engagement

I had earlier taken a strange path home
Past a new building overlooking this empty lot
The intent of its construction still unknown
Where once...
Where once my every atom had flown
Had I, in my olfactory drunkenness, forgot?
What once happened in this very spot?

Ah, what demon hath tempted me here?
Who planted the fragrant blossoms of March
To whisper softly into my ear
Having stalked the following seasons' arch
To approach me undercover
Of a sweet anachronistic smell
And know I would its source discover
By bidding me return to the very site
Where I was vaporized in tremulous light
Where from my freewill said "Farewell"
And from which I'll gladly not recover
I smile with the fixed eyes of an intern in hell
At the first rays of sun, numbing and so bright

No comments:

Post a Comment