Sunday, September 1, 2013

The State of Pop Music

In the wake of the VMA Miley Cyrus thing, I have overheard a plethora of conversations about "the state of pop music".  What follows are select clips from these conversations, except I replaced "pop music" with "room temperature", and took some creative license with the adjacent factors.


"I don't know, room temperature seems to be out of the hands of the people, it's really all about what 50 year old Jewish men in LA think 15 year olds want the thermostat set at when they go jerk off."

"It's true, it's totally true!  You gotta- if you're on a first date, the best topic of conversation is room temperature.  You gotta work with the shit you got in common, y'know?  You don't want to scare someone off..."

"That's always been the case though... good room temperature is all about gettin' it on.  Room temperature is a safe bet for setting the mood."

"I can't go out anymore.  They just, these places just turn the room temperature up so I can't even talk to someone.  This current room temperature is like, made to be turned up and like, suck the conversation of the room."

"Room temperature was great until around 1994."

"I think people these days, y'know they need their room temperature too warm. I don't want to go into those rooms, y'know? Hahahaha!"

"Oh I let the kids control the room temperature in the car once... it got so cold, I wanted to wear earmuffs."

"All the room temperature feels the same these days. I can't tell if I'm at my girlfriend's house, at work, at the bar, or even in my own room.  I do like me some room temperature!"

"Person 1: All room temperature has always felt the same, relatively I mean.

Person 2: How can you even say that with a straight face? Room temperature meant something back then... I think I'm dating myself a little here, but back when I was into room temperature, it was about 72 degrees Fahrenheit."

"Well now that wasn't really room temperature, was it? That was heat, which would later influence room temperature because it was rebelling against cold. Your typical person back then wasn't comfortable at those temperatures.  (some mumbled rebuttal, I think Velvet Underground was mentioned)  Yeah, I'm sure my dad has never even heard of those temperatures."

"I just shake my head thinking about what room temperature will be like in the future."

1 comment: