Monday, April 9, 2012

Nat'l Poetry Month Day 6: It Happens Every Day

Certain words, phrases, expressions, etc have been rendered meaningless to me, whether by overuse or too frequent improper/loose use. These are words and phrases I have to spend an extra immeasurable fraction of a second to think hard about to consciously acknowledge them as meaning anything at all. I came up with a list of them off the top of my head (and with a little help from the blogs on the Phoenix New Times) and arranged them into a poem. These are by no means universal, so if you're looking at this as a fun list of overused words and phrases that we can all agree upon, you may be disappointed.

It Happens Every Day

Only the young
live every day to the
bank
You've just gotta feel it

Just the facts
made for tv

Live life
Live your life
Wasting time
Killing me

Whole life
90% perspiration
Killing me

Buy one get one
bella undocumented

Blast books
Dysfunctional
Rock opera

Darkly comedic vultures
transformation
Proactive urban street culture
Department of Transportation
I'll handle it
Leave me alone

3 comments:

  1. *snap snap snap snap snap snap snap*

    Psst. Since you've been so kind to share you work with the world, I'm going to show you something I threw together over the last couple of days. I'm reluctant to post any of my own poetry on my "web-log," but I seem not to suffer from this inhibition on OTHER people's "web-logs." ENJOY. Or don't.



    Vulture

    Ugly and unashamed,
    but neither proud.
    He doesn’t concern himself.

    Caked gore baking
    on his bald crown –
    living in disease,
    but never with disease.
    Can’t be bothered for a wingflap,
    yet he soars.

    You see him,
    and you know he’s ugly.
    He sees you.
    He doesn’t presume to know –
    he doesn’t presume –
    but he understands that you
    are meaningless –

    you, the thing you think
    you are – all of you
    that’s dear to you –
    unripeness, unremarkable, to
    be watched and waited out
    before he’ll condescend.

    The only meaning’s at the end of things,
    and the end of things is his concern –
    and the end of things is never pretty,
    and the fact is in the flesh
    that cleaves to bone.
                                   After all –
    we're only meat that’s yet to mellow,
    life is given to be torn apart and passed along,
    and death is for the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to not hide this! I won't that "it's a travesty that my poetry is made public and yours isn't", but I will think it in secret. Except for just now.

    I like the imagery and the clear arc and focus. I am very jealous of the focus, which you make seem easy and natural. Do I have permission to read this publicly at an open mic? I may do so either tomorrow or Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do!

      (But for what I have in focus, I lack in spontaneity and sprightliness. I've probably only done three open mics in as many years.)

      Delete