Thursday, April 10, 2014

National Poetry Month Day 9: Please Describe Yourself

Excuse me, I
Can't help revealing
That I'm now you
Well, you made it so appealing
With your instructions step-by-step
T'was more copy-paste than stealing
Away from my self I was swept
Lost in a reverie
You goaded me with every
Thoroughly displayed precept

See, once I had a hoard of
Over a dozen handbags
More than a closet's share
But when you said you were bored of
Purses and just owned one
All but that many of mine
vaporized into thin air

And all my friends were of
my political persuasion
Until you mentioned you pulled off otherwise
Incredible! And in so short a conversation
I can feel my morning renaissance dawning
Like successful people in movies
For you also punish yourself
If you wake up later than 8
With discordant smoothies

Suddenly I don't get the
Obsession with crazy aunt flower pants either
And my future is suddenly bright
Because I go to law school at night
And work at a used clothing shop by day
And at the drop of a bowler hat
Tell everyone about my life

No comments:

Post a Comment