Tuesday, April 2, 2013

National Poetry Writing Month, Day 1: Moving Everyday

I am
depositing everything
I am
into a hole
Why?
To watch it pile up?
Then descend it like stairs
To explore?
And, surely, just as
(My latest offering)
I lean in to look
(wraps around)
I learn
(my ankle)
it has no bottom so I
Fell

Being whole
As a hole
I suddenly am empty

Not stomach emptiness, though
I've once tried
Crafting it
Like the perfect dish
Ingredients
Measurements, timed
Heat
Though, eventually, 
even I must
Eat

Not sports zen emptiness, though
It was something elusive and
Magical when I was young, like
Skipping stones
Except as soon as you think about
Water deflection
It dies and sinks, so
I stop watching before it sinks
And throw another

Not even self emptiness
Just emptiness of these things, being
Drunk on years,
I carry

And every day
You and I discover more
To donate to the hole
In exchange for a little emptiness
Until it leaves behind something
So light it can't be tossed
So large it can't be lost
Leaving only what
We are

2 comments:

  1. Yay attentive reader! I thought I'd never say this, but it feels good to write something that is meant only for that, and not to be performed! Not sure if I can guarantee more material past this month, but I am bursting with inspiration this April, and for once it's not because I'm miserable!

    ReplyDelete